Direct Access to a Physical Therapist
You Now Have Greater Choice with Your Health Care
Direct Access to Physical Therapy is Here! Foothills Physical Therapy Group are Individual Physical Therapist that are able to perform rehabilitation therapy directly to patients without a doctors referral.
As of January 1, 2015, all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the US Virgin Islands allow patients to access physical therapists' services for evaluation and treatment. Direct Access is your ability to be evaluated and treated by a licensed Physical Therapist without first seeing your physician for a referral.
There are a number of benefits that come from Direct Access.
- This will give you much quicker access the treatment you deserve.
- While each patient case is different, clinical research shows that Direct Access should save you money.
- Physical therapy visits last about an hour so your condition is thoroughly evaluated and treated.
- Seeing a physical therapist first, in many cases, will result in fewer overall treatment sessions.
- Some form of direct access to physical therapy is legal in every state in the United States, The District of Columbia and the US Virgin Islands.
There are some limits with Direct Access to Physical Therapy in Tennessee.
If no substantial progress has been within fifteen (15) calendar days or six (6) visits, whichever occurs first, immediately following the date of the patient's initial visit, the physical therapist shall refer the patient to a licensed physician.
Patients must be referred to their physician, doctor of chiropractic, dentist, podiatrist, or osteopath if the Physical Therapy care will exceed 30 days.
Medicare, Medicaid, other federal plans and some private health insurance plans require physician's orders to cover physical therapy services. We will be glad to call and find out if your health insurance plan requires MD's orders to cover your physical therapy.